Historic Profile: Noted for both its role in educational history and its distinguishing architectural characteristics, the Madison School is a highly visible Minneapolis landmark. The Madison school site has the longest continuing history of enrollment in Minneapolis school system, lasting 112 years from 1870 to 1982.The building, constructed in two phases by Walter Pardee was begun in 1887 and completed by 1889. The first phase of construction consisted of eight rooms and the second of twelve. Notable features of the school building include the semi-circular arched entry, tourelles, carved stone finials and parapet brickwork.
The Drexel Apartments
1009 Park Avenue
Built in 1889 the Drexel Apartment building is described in the South Ninth Street Historic District: This 3 story red brick apartment complex covers the block along Park Ave. between Tenth and 14th Streets. A rusticated stone foundation borders the half story walkups. Double wooden doors mark all three facade entrances. They include beveled window insets, transoms, and heavy lintels. The central set of doors has round arches which are emphasized by the second and third story round arched windows. All other windows are square, as in the later architectural trend. Corbeling and checker boarding brickwork finish off the crown. Tower-like projections emphasize the recessed and advanced facade.
New wooden porches line the second and thirdstories on the back of the apartment. Changes include the replacement to metal frame double hung windows. This is a contributing property in the South Ninth Street Historic District. The architect was W.H. Dennis.
The Armory ca. 1938
The Armory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also under consideration for listing as a City landmark. The building is being re-purposed as a mid-sized event center, similar in size to the Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul.
The Mayhew building at 618 9th Street South, built in 1886, was designed by architect Frederick A. Clark. The property originally had seven townhouses that are now divided into 53 units. As stated in the South 9th Street Historic District report, “The seven bay facade is one of the richest examples of decorative embellishment in the district. There are cavernous, round arched entrances and windows on the first story and grouped round arched windows on the third story.” The townhouse row is a contributing property in the South Ninth Street Historic District.
The Adirondack at 608-10 9th Street South was built in 1911 and designed by architects Linstorm and Almars and described in the South Ninth Street Historic District report: “This narrow three-story apartment sets a different tone to the district. Using dark red brick and limestone on the façade, a Georgian style blended with Chicago architecture is created through the smooth finish of the rusticated first story, contrasting dark brick and light mortar, and a second story Palladian window above the central entrance. The third story horizontal moldings on either side of the windows and square and rectangular shaped insets between the windows are reminiscent of the designs of Chicago’s Louis Sullivan. The Monadnock is similarly designed at 900 Centennial Place.
The Harry F. Legg House
1601 Park Avenue
Located on the SE corner of 16th St. and Park Ave., the Legg House is one of five Elliot Park Neighborhood buildings on the National Historic Register of Places. Designed and built in 1887, the residential structure is shining example of Queen Anne style Victorian architecture, especially adapted to an American vernacular featuring an eclectic blending of gables, assymmetic facades, round towers, oriel and bay windows. Legg was a prominent Downtown business owner, and when he had this residence built Elliot Park was still very much a 19th Century “suburban” neighborhood. To learn more about the Legg House, you may access the website for Placeography: www.placeography.org and enter Harry F Legg House in the search box.
619 South 10th Street
The Hinkle- Murphy House survives as a remaining trace of the once elegant residential district in Elliot Park neighborhood along 10th St and Park Avenue. Well-known architect William Channing Whitney (who designed the Minnesota Governor’s Mansion) was commissioned in 1886 by William H. Hinkle, a leading flour producer, to design a prominent urban residence. Whitney chose a variant of the Georgian Revival style of architecture, and the result is a distinguished structure, with a formal, symmetrical façade, and a warm richness of color and texture. The house was named to the National Historic Register of Historic Places in the 1980s. In the late 1990s, through Neighborhood Revitalization Program loan funding, the then owner, Mr. Ron Bates, restored the structure to its nineteenth century glory.
South 10th Street
This curio structure stood for a period of time on what presently is a parking lot between the 609 S. 10th St. Baker Building and the Hinkle-Murphy House (seen in background). It was part of a franchise of White Castle knock-off fast food restaurants known as “White Tower” opened in numerous East Coast and Midwestern cities from the 1920s through the 1960s. It is not known when exactly this particular White Tower in Elliot Park finally disappeared, but probably it was during the 1980s.
1515 Chicago Avenue
Built in 1986, Buri Manor was Aeon’s first affordable housing development. It was built to replace the 350 affordable units that were destroyed when the Minneapolis Convention Center was created. With funding from the Family Housing Fund, Aeon partnered with Elliot Park Neighborhood, Inc. and Brighton Development Corporation to remove a detrimental neighborhood bar in order to create these affordable homes. Buri Manor, named in honor of community activist Isabel Buri, was honored with the Design Award from the Minneapolis Committee on Urban Environment (CUE) in 1987. Buri Manor offers 38 efficiency apartment homes for individuals earning low incomes. A community garden and landscaped courtyard provide a small oasis in the midst of an urban setting.
See the Buri Manor video on Aeon’s website: Click Here
Text and photograph from the Aeon website: www.aeonmn.org
500 South 10th Street
In 1991, Aeon saved this condemned and boarded historic building in the Elliot Park South 9th Street Historic District from being demolished and turned into a parking lot. The Adams is an important barrier against the encroachment of downtown and helps preserve the residential character of the neighborhood. It offers 76 efficiency units that are home primarily to lower-income working people with incomes at 50% of median income or less. Some units are designated for individuals with incomes at or below 30% of median income. The street scape surrounding The Adams incorporates historic lighting, attractive plantings and public gateway art heralding the entryway to downtown Minneapolis and the Elliot Park neighborhood.