It’s an exciting time for Elliot Park Neighborhood, Inc. as the neighborhood continues to experience significant growth. With several recently completed housing developments and several more nearing completion, Elliot Park will welcome hundreds, if not thousands, of new residents. EPNI prioritizes community outreach and seeks to reconnect with the community and introduce ourselves to new residents. To lead this effort, EPNI seeks an extroverted and energetic candidate to fill the Community Organizer position. Learn more about EPNI at www.elliotpark.org.
Job Type: Part-time (20 hours per week) flexible schedule with some evenings and weekends
Salary: $15 – $18 per hour, depending on candidate qualifications and experience
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The ideal candidate will have experience in community outreach, be self-motivated, organized, and have a passion for community building. The responsibilities of the Community Organizer include:
Outreach and Organizing (50%)
- In partnership with EPNI Executive Director, develop and implement creative methods to engage Elliot Park residents, business owners, institutions, employees, and property owners in EPNI
- Build relationships with underrepresented populations (renters, East African community, etc.) and learn how EPNI can better serve the community
- Recruit EPNI members and develop leaders among community members for projects, committees, and board service
Program Coordination (30%)
- Green Team: support existing Green Team through leadership development, new member recruitment, organization of social activities, and organization of community clean-ups
- NDC Entrepreneur Training: coordinate Neighborhood Development Center Plan It! Class (advertising class, recruiting community participants, securing locations, coordinating logistics)
- Livability Task Force: staff monthly Livability Task Force meetings, follow-up on items as needed
- Write and distribute monthly e-newsletter (MailChimp)
- Create and distribute flyers
- Manage EPNI Facebook page
- Create and distribute EPNI marketing materials
Administrative Tasks (5%)
- Perform miscellaneous tasks (copying, printing, written staff report, etc.)
- Strong people skills
- Bi-Lingual in English and Somali
- Previous community organizing and leadership development experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Facebook
- Excellent personal accountability, self-motivation and follow through skills
- Able to work evenings and weekends (1-3 evenings per week) – door-knocking, meetings and visits
- Able to lift 40 pounds, use stairs and walk/work in a variety of weather conditions.
How To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com. Application deadline is March 15th at midnight.
EPNI is an equal opportunity employer. EPNI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, disability, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, affectional preference or sexual orientation, citizenship, age, veteran status, marital status or status with regard to public assistance.